Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup

    I had two of my wisdom teeth removed a few weeks ago. My jaw was swollen for about a week and it was so stiff I couldn’t chew or open my mouth too wide. I tried eating chicken but it felt like it took so much energy and upset my jaw even more. So I had to eat soft, less chewing food and I came across this recipe and it was SO good. 

    I would say this could last for 3-4 days in the fridge. I made this one night and portioned it into 4 containers and just stored them in the fridge. I had this soup for 4 days straight as my lunch. This soup required a little to no chewing so my jaw was happy! I would say though, if you have a sensitive stomach you could experience bloating afterwards as broccoli and cauliflowers are known to be the “gassy” foods. I did get belly bloat when I ate only soups, but it’s not making me uncomfortable and it was the only thing my jaw could handle.


    Okay, enough chit chat here’s the recipe:


Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup

Adapted from: Showmetheyummy




Ingredients:

1/2 tbsp butter

1/2 medium sized onion

1/2 celery stalk, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp white pepper

1/4 tsp nutmeg

240 g cauliflower florets, chopped into small pieces

500 ml water

125 ml skimmed milk, or milk of choice

1-1 1/2 tsp beef/chicken stock powder (salted)

1 tsp beef/chicken stock powder (salt-free)

1/2 small carrots, grated

230 g broccoli florets

82 g cheddar cheese (I used KRAFT Cheddar Quick Melt)

  1. In a medium pot over medium low heat melt the butter, add garlic, onion, celery, and spices, cook for 5 minutes

  2. Add in water, milk, stock powder, and cauliflower, bring to simmer. Then let it simmer for about 5-8 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork tender

  3. Transfer the mixture to the blender and blend until smooth, you may do this in batches. Don’t forget to leave a little opening on your blender lid to let the steam out

  4. Add the mixture back to the pot then add carrots and broccoli. Cook the broccoli until desired doneness about 5-8 minutes

  5. If your blender is small, transfer only the broccoli chunks and some of the liquid to the blender and blend until desired consistency

  6. Put the mixture back to the pot then add cheese and cook until all the cheese have melted, season to taste and serve!

Comments